Posted on Jan 21, 2021 156
Potatoes occupy a large place in our daily diet. The number of dishes where this vegetable is used is simply impossible to count. Mashed, fried, boiled, baked, crumbly and golden potatoes in any form will make a meal more appetizing. And it will also help you spend your leisure time more interesting: we have collected 10 most interesting facts about potatoes.
1. The conquistadors first introduced the vegetable to the Old World in the 16th century, which is why the word potato has Spanish roots.
2. Each person on Earth eats about 50 kg of potatoes a year.
3. Potatoes are a member of the nightshade family, which also includes tomatoes, peppers, and the poisonous belladonna.
4 The South American Indians cultivated potatoes as early as 200 B.C.
5. The potato was the first vegetable to be grown in space. It happened in 1995.
6. In ancient times, seafarers went on a long voyage, taking several bags of potatoes with them. This vegetable is rich in vitamin C, which effectively fights scurvy.
7. The potato was once at the height of fashion. Marie Antoinette loved to decorate her hair with potato flowers, inspiring the ladies of her court to do the same. And so did Louis XVI, who also had potato flowers in his buttonhole.
8. The weight of the largest potato tuber is 3.76 kg. English farmer Peter Glazebrook grew it in 2010. This botanical achievement is officially registered in the Guinness Book of Records.
9. China is the largest producer of potatoes in the world.
10. The War of the Bavarian Succession, also known as the Potato War, broke out between Prussia and Saxony. From 1778 to 1779, soldiers on both sides fought hunger more often because of poor supplies than among themselves. They spent most of their time in the fields digging potatoes for food.