Facts about water


Posted on Mar 11, 2022      133


 

What surrounds us everywhere? That’s right - water! Indeed, it covers a much larger part of the Earth’s surface than the land and without water, the existence of life on our planet would be impossible. It is the basis for everything, for both plant and animal life, and it is believed that the simplest microorganisms first originated in the water column. It is possible, of course, that in other conditions it would have been possible for life to exist on another basis, without water, but modern science, at least, does not know it yet.

Facts about water

  • Scientists speculate that water came to Earth from outer space. Comets rich in ice collided with our planet and left their “wet footprint” on it. This phenomenon is called comet bombardment.
  • There are about 1.5 billion cubic kilometers of water on Earth. That’s about 800 trillion Olympic swimming pools.
  • There is water in Azerbaijan that has a lot of methane, so it can catch fire if you bring a match to it. And in Sicily, there are underwater acid springs in one lake that poison all the water in that body of water.
  • Scientists have established 2,000 structured varieties of water, which may differ volume and type of compounds dissolved in it and other factors.
  • A person can survive without water for only 2-3 days.
  • The cause of dehydration can be not only physical activity but also overeating.
  • Seawater freezes at about -1.91°C, but the exact value depends also on its salinity.
  • If the human body loses over 10% of the water, it can lead to death.
  • Up to 75 liters of water can “float” down the drain in a day from a dripping faucet.

  • Over 80% of wastewater is not recycled. This is a very wasteful use of our available water resources.
  • There is water in the sun, so much so that our sun burns about one trillion tons of it every day.
  • The composition of the Earth’s mantle contains 10-12 times more water than the oceans.
  • Of all liquid water, only about 3% is fresh, the remaining 97% is salty.
  • The largest cloud of water vapor was discovered by NASA scientists near a black hole 12 billion light-years from Earth. It contains 140 trillion times more water than the world’s oceans.
  • Water has the greatest heat capacity compared to other liquids existing.
  • According to UNESCO, the cleanest water is in Finland. 122 countries took part in the study of fresh natural water.
  • About 1 billion people on Earth do not have access to clean, drinkable water at all.
  • Hot water freezes and turns to ice faster than cold water. There is still no explanation for this phenomenon.
  • Water accounts for 60-70% of an adult’s body composition.
  • Most liquids shrink when frozen, but water expands.
  • Antarctica has been completely covered by ice for over 30 million years.
  • Perfectly pure water without impurities does not freeze at 0 degrees, but at lower temperatures, down to -42 degrees.

  • We know about 3 different states of water (liquid, gaseous and solid). Contrary to this opinion, scientists distinguish 5 states of water in liquid form and 14 states in solid form.
  • About 85% of diseases in the world are transmitted by water.
  • Scientists have found that those people who drink about six glasses of water a day are less likely to have a heart attack as opposed to those who drink only two glasses.
  • In a lifetime, the average person drinks about 35 tons of water.
  • In the past 50 years, there have been 507 water conflicts worldwide. Twenty-one of them ended in military action.
  • Water is only transparent to visible light, but it actively absorbs infrared radiation.
  • The world’s oceans cover 71% of the Earth’s surface, but they are a powerful climate mitigator for our planet, constantly warming the lower layers of the atmosphere.
  • Every continent now has its own “dead” river, which has become unfit for any use at all because of man-made pollution.
  • Seawater is a very nourishing substance. One cubic cm of such water contains 1.5 g of protein and other substances. Scientists believe that the Atlantic Ocean alone, in terms of its nutritional value, is estimated at 20,000 harvests per year all over the land.
  • Approximately two-thirds of the water used in the home is consumed in the bathroom and toilet.
  • If all the glaciers were to melt, the water level on our planet would rise by 64 meters, and about 15% of all land would be flooded.
  • Contaminated groundwater cleans itself, but it takes a long time, at least several millennia.
  • There are over 135 known isotopic varieties of water. Besides “living”, “dead”, there is “heavy”, “slippery”, “dry” and “rubber” water.

0
0